You don’t have to dig to find something awesome to do in Alberta. After all, our province has many stories to tell and plenty of natural wonders to explore thanks to our network of 20 provincially owned and operated historic sites, museums and archives.
In honour of International Museum Day, we wanted to share with you a few reasons why we love our heritage facilities (and why you should love them too).
Are you into dinosaurs? Vintage vehicles? Tasty Ukrainian cuisine? Alberta history, artifacts and records? We could seriously keep going because we have it all! Our heritage facilities cover a wide range of topics and interests; to find something that intrigues you, check out this complete directory of facilities, locations and event information to help plan your next adventure.
So let’s cut to the chase and share with you some of our favourite things about our provincial sites and museums:
- It’s a true Alberta adventure! Take in beautiful Alberta landscapes and learn about our own history including the iconic scenery of one of the world’s oldest, largest and best preserved buffalo jumps or seeing first-hand what millions of tonnes of rock looks like in the aftermath of Canada’ deadliest rock slide.
Whether you’re looking to get away, plan a unique date night, or taking the entire family on an affordable day trip, our heritage facilities have an adventure waiting for you.
- Takes you back in time. We’re still working on a time machine so we can’t literally take you back in time…yet… but our heritage facilities are the next best thing! Submerse yourself in the story of Ukrainian settlement where costumed interpreters dress, speak and authentically portray what Ukrainian immigration to Alberta was like in between 1892 and 1930.
Tucked inside the University of Alberta campus is the home of Alberta’s first premier, Alexander Cameron Rutherford. Step inside this lovely brick home to see what life was like circa 1914. This post-Edwardian style building and the beautiful surrounding gardens have been restored to their former glory for you to enjoy.
- Good value. We are committed to providing Albertans with affordable access to provincial heritage facilities. With the Experience Alberta’s History Pass, visitors can receive unlimited admission to our network of historic sites and museums for one full year from the date of purchase. This pass is an awesome option for people who plan to visit one facility multiple times, or several facilities any number of times!
- Learn with your hands and not just your eyes. Outside of traditional exhibits and learning panels, our historic sites and museums believe in the power of interactive education. Try your hand at various workshops, interactive programming, guided tours or a walk around the grounds to learn at your own pace.
- Good ol’ fashioned fun. Need we say more?
We hope to see you out at one of the facilities this summer! To plan your trip, check out the full directory of sites and museums and click on each individual webpage for more information on location, hours and programming.
You can also stay connected with us on Twitter @AlbertaCulture for event updates and to share your experiences with us.