Celebrate with UCHV: It’s a big party and you’re invited!
On Sunday, August 13, it’s all about celebrating Canada’s 150th at this year’s annual Ukrainian Day special event at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village (UCHV) from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Whether you are celebrating your family’s history or Canada’s cultural diversity, you are invited to attend Ukrainian Day! Ukrainian Day is co-hosted with the Ukrainian Canadian Congress-Alberta Provincial Council (UCC-APC).
This year, the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village is celebrating the opening of five new historic structures. Together, the structures will tell the story of the Galician settlers and give a glimpse into their typical day-to-day life to help visitors understand what it was like to live in Alberta at the beginning of the 20th century.
Event highlights on Ukrainian Day 2017 include:
- Church services that begin at 9:15 a.m.
- Recognition of many of east central Alberta’s early pioneers at the centennial monument.
- Where We Came From: a youth art exhibit featuring a collection of 58 pieces of artwork that depicts Canadian stories of arriving in and building communities across Alberta as viewed through the eyes of the youngest Albertans.
- Official opening of the Galician Settlers Farmstead – a collection of 5 restored buildings.
- A concert beginning at 2 p.m. that will feature a spectacular array of music and dance. Confirmed concert performers include: the Ukrainian Shumka Dancers (Edmonton), Euphoria (Edmonton), Balada Romanian Folk Dance Ensemble (Edmonton), Korinnya Ukrainian Folk Ensemble (Calgary), Polonez Polish Folk Arts Ensemble (Edmonton) and the Prince Charles Fiddlers (Edmonton).
- Visit the historical village to see costumed role-players portray real pioneers from the region. Activities include free wagon rides, spelling bees and schoolyard games, horseshoe toss, Morse telegraph demonstrations, butter churning demonstrations and more!
- Delicious food starting with a pancake breakfast available prior to 11 a.m., and mouth-watering pyrohy, borshch and other Ukrainian food available after 11 a.m.
What: Ukrainian Day at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village
When: Sunday, August 13, 2017
Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, located 25 minutes east of Edmonton along Highway 16.